Monday, October 31, 2005

Cowboy wisdom!

Some time ago I was reading "Life matters" from A. Roger Merrill and Rebecca R. Merrill. It's a really good book. It even helped me and my wife to organize our expenses and save a lot of money during our weekly shopping. But something I found especially interesting is a quotation: "If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is stop digging". It sounds so obvious! But from the time I read that I found myself and others in a hole and all of us continued digging!

In other books they are talking about something similar called "proactivity". It's the opposite of being reactive. It also means to act fast to solve problems and avoid more complications. Like a sample here is something that happens all the time: in a meeting about a new product it's needed to identify a provider, then a member of the team suggests a name, so the responsible says "Ok, I'm taking note and I will give them a call tomorrow"; a proactive person would make the call right away to be sure that the provider is available or in the opposite situation get more ideas and contacts from the rest of the team. A proactive person is not telling "why they are not cleaning the office if they know that they let it dirty!" probably is telling "Hey guys what do you need to let the office clean after you use it?”. It is easy to identify when we aren't being proactive in our work or during our family times right?

The problem happens when we are not trying to recognize that we are in troubles or when we didn't stop to think about the situation.


Life Matters in Amazon.com

Cawboy wizdom in Google

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home